Updated: June 2022
Description: Admin may create Survey Questions in their Courses if using the Rollup Placeholder Question type in your Surveys. The Rollup Placeholder allows an institution to provide a space for the Institution, College, Department, Course and Course Section to add their own questions to a survey , and those questions will only appear if the course section surveyed is owned by each level of that hierarchy. When questions are added at the Course level, this questions will display only in that Course's Course Sections. For more information about Survey Question types, click here.
Applicable to: Institution Admin, College Admin, Department Admin, Course Coordinator
Step 1: Log into your AEFIS account
Step 2: Select the three white horizontal lines in the top left hand corner to open the AEFIS Main Menu
Step 3: Navigate to Educational Experiences > Courses
Step 4: Use either the +Add Filter or the search bar to locate the desired course
Step 5: Select the Manage button on the right hand side
Step 6: If the Course is in Published status, click Revise at the top right of the screen
*Note - there are implications to revising and republishing a Course. Please check to make sure that the Course is not included in a Published Program, and make sure that all related Course Sections in current and upcoming terms are in Faculty Pending status prior to making these changes, otherwise you can disconnect the new version of this Course that includes Survey Questions from its current sections and active Programs.
Step 7: Navigate to Course Evaluations > Survey Questions in the panel on the left and the Survey Question screen will load:
Select the Let's Begin box to begin adding questions
Step 8: Creating new survey questions
a) Select the blue EDIT button on the upper right hand side
b) Select the blue button on the upper right hand side
c) Select question type from the options listed
d) Populate information in desired question type
e) Select the blue SAVE button on the bottom right
f) Create additional questions by selecting the button on the upper right hand side
When selecting the drop-down next to the question number:
- Details: Displays details of the question
- Edit: Allows quick access to edit the question
- Copy: Allows question to be copied for future use
- Tags: Allow question to be easily organized and located
- Remove: Allows you to delete question
When selecting the gear icon below the question:
- Answer Required: Allows instructors to make an answer required by user
- Assign Actions: Allows instructors to assign a specific question to populate only after a certain answer is chosen for the question
- This functionality allows you to +Add Actions when checking the box
- Assign Rules: Allows instructors to create specific questions that will only appear in a survey for a particular degree. For example, questions 3-5 may only populate for Nursing degrees.
- This functionality allows you to +Add Rules when checking the box
- Add Comment Field: Allows user to provide additional comments regarding the question
- Display Options Horizontally: Allows the format of answer options to be changed to be displayed horizontally. This creates a more concise view of the survey.
- Ascending Numeric Value: Allows answer options order to be changed. However, the numeric values will still be tied to the correct answers.
- Matrix Question: This combines more than multi-choice single answer question together to display in a grid, if using the same likert scale to simply the student experience answering questions of a similar type with the same scale.
Selecting When to Make the Question Available
Selecting one or more these timing options will determine when this question will display to students, based on the schedule of the survey. If there are Mid-term formative surveys, then questions can be designated to only show then, versus end of term anonymous student course evaluations, for example.
Step 9: Select the blue EXIT button on the top right of the screen after all desired questions have been added/copied
Step 10: Select the red PUBLISH QUESTIONS button on the top right hand side once all survey questions have been added
Step 11: Publish the Course*
*Every time the Course is revised, whomever revises the Course MUST repeat Step 10 or the questions will not be published to the next survey.
Please Note: After these Course Survey Questions have been published, they will be pulled into all applicable course evaluations by using the Rollup Question Placeholder when designing the Survey Template.
Adding the Rollup Questions Placeholder to a Survey Template, allows for any additional questions added at the Course Section, Course, Department, College or Institution level to be pulled into the applicable surveys.
If you would like to evaluate students on course learning outcomes (CLO), then you would create CLO Placeholder questions. A CLO Placeholder notifies the system to pull the appropriate CLO information into the survey form. Each CLO Placeholder will create a survey item for each CLO. For example, if your course section has 2 CLOs and you wish to ask 2 CLO Placeholder questions about those CLOs, then the system will create 4 survey question items.