Description: Institution Admins can set Institution-wide defaults for the creation of Programs and Program settings. This guide will provide information on what each setting controls and how to lock settings into place they can not be changed at the College, Department or Program levels.
Applicable to: Institution Admin
Step by Step...
1. Login to AEFIS
2. Click on the hamburger menu at the top left of the screen and navigate to the Organizational Hierarchy section of the menu
3. Click on Institution, College, or Department
4. Click the Manage button next to your Institution, College or Department
5. Navigate to the Program Settings area of the menu under Settings
Overview of Program Settings
Tip: Click the lock icon next to any setting to prevent it from being changed at any lower level of the hierarchy (College, Department, Program).
Always hit the blue SAVE button at the bottom of each section to save your changes!!
Program Creation Settings
Choose whether users - including Institution Admins - can manually create a Program. This is typically left on. This is only turned off in the rare case where Programs are created through an API import of data.
Outcome Mapping Settings
- Select either "This program utilizes Student Outcome Learning Indicators" or "This program utilizes Student Outcomes
- This setting allows you to create program outcomes with performance indicators (sub-outcomes). Performance indicators allow greater granularity in the collection of Program Learning Outcome data.
- "Enable Course Learning Outcome mapping weight" allows you to pre-set the weighting of the relationship between course learning outcomes and program learning outcomes when creating your curriculum map
Program Developmental Level Settings
- This allows you to label the mapping relationships between outcomes in your program and courses/course learning outcomes. This can be a label that indicates where the learning process is developmentally/holistically or can be another label that suits your program. You can then group and report out on performance based on the levels set. You may set between 1-6 levels here. You are not required to use this - this is an extra setting that may be used for reporting if needed.
Proficiency Scale Settings
- These are the benchmark levels that your programs will use to group the student learning outcome achievement in the direct assessment process. You may create one standard list with up to 6 levels, and change the names and colors provided in the defaults.
- In other settings, there will be an option to require that all Programs use this scale, or allow the Colleges, Departments and Programs to set their own scale. This scale will be seen in ALL reporting on direct assessment results, so it is the most important Program setting.
- This must be set before you start creating Programs and adding Program Learning Outcomes, as once this scale is applied to an outcome it can not be changed without deleting the outcome, or in some cases depending on the choices made in the next settings, updating these settings and recreating the program from scratch.
- When this setting is enabled, Programs are required to use the Proficiency Scale set above, and can not edit or change the scale.
- This setting is enabled in cases where Institution level outcomes are going to be collected across Programs in all or most Colleges/Departments, so they must share a unified scale. If that is not the case, and your Colleges/Departments/Programs use differing scales of student achievement benchmarks for reporting, then you will leave this setting toggled off.
- By default, the proficiency scale is listed descending from the lowest level of achievement to the highest. To reverse the display order, toggle this setting on.
Default Performance Goal
- This sets a default goal based on the proficiency scale set in the previous settings. Unless you lock this setting, it will show up in all Programs by default, but CAN be edited at the Program level, which is the typical choice made by partners when reviewing this setting.
Assignment Proficiency Scale Threshold Default Settings
- The Assignment Proficiency Scale Threshold is how achievement on an assignment is interpreted by AEFIS to place a student's score at a specific benchmark level.
- AEFIS will convert the student score into a percentage, based on the points achieved and points available, and then match that student's achievement to the level of the proficiency scale based on the percentage of available points earned. In the example above, if a student achieved a 7/10 points on an assignment linked to this scale, they would fall into the Proficient range.
- This scale can be locked at an institution level so it can not be changed, though this is not recommended. This can merely be inherited to all Programs as a default, and changed at the Program and even the Course Section assignment level, to be granular and accurate in representing the achievement expectations.
Program Assessment Settings
- By default, when this setting is turned off, when a Course is mapped directly to an outcome in a Program, then the CLOs are not available to assess separately.
- If you want to assess Programs and CLOs separately, you will toggle this setting on and save.
Assignment Sample Settings
- If toggled on, a feature will be enabled in Course Sections that creates categories of achievement that faculty may manually attach student artifacts to which represent those levels of achievement.
- This feature is used in cases where samples of student work are required in accreditation report as evidence of student learning outcome achievement.
- Note that these artifacts do not automatically populate in those groupings. An administrator or faculty member must select and add the appropriate artifacts to store in the course section assignment samples area.
- Note that this is not the same as random sampling for assessment.
Assessment Random Sampling Settings
- We do not recommend turning this setting on by default, and leaving it up to the individual Program to enable.
- If enabled, there are multiple options to set up a random sampling process for the direct assessment of students in AEFIS. This does not apply to assessment occurring directly in your learning management system (LMS).
- When this is enabled, the student names in the scorebook will be anonymized. This feature can not remove any names from the artifacts/student submissions themselves.
- This sets the default percentage of students to assess in the course sections included in the curriculum map for that Program.
- This can be changed at the individual outcome to course mapping settings directly in the curriculum map, if different courses require different sampling percentages.
- This sets the default minimum number of students to assess in the course sections included in the curriculum map for that Program.
- This can be changed at the individual outcome to course mapping settings directly in the curriculum map, if different courses require different minimums.
- Toggling this on alone will not enable the CLR. Speak to your Client Success Manager to discuss the process for enabling the CLR at your institution.