Updated: April 2022
Description: Program Assessments are generated each academic term, for each Program where the direct student learning outcome assessment setting is turned on and mapped course sections are present. Within that Assessment manager that is generated, course sections populate in an area called Assigned Courses. When a course section is "Assigned" in an Assessment, the Assignment Linking options will appear within that section for that Program. In this guide, you will learn how course sections are "Assigned" to an assessment, and how you may remove/assign course sections to your assessment while it is In Progress. We also describe situations where you may want to check this "Assigned Courses" page to troubleshoot issues within the system.
Applicable to: Institution Admin, College Admin, Department Admin, Program Coordinato
Have you seen this message on your Course Section Assignment Linking page before...
But you are certain the related Course is in a Program that is being assessed? Then you may want to check your Program's Assessment's Assigned Courses menu.
How are Course Sections assigned to an Assessment by AEFIS?
1. When the assessment is created for that term, AEFIS will automatically populate all PUBLISHED course sections related to Courses in the Program curriculum map, and "Assign" them to that Program's Assessment. That then populates the Assignment Linking page in the Course Section with the linking options for that program.
2. When additional Course Sections are populated in AEFIS through your data file import, they will populate in a FACULTY PENDING status. That means the Assessment will not automatically import that section into the Assigned Courses page and assign it.
3. Once you publish a Course Section, the AEFIS system will run a process in the background every hour at the :30 minute mark that looks for newly published Course Sections and adds them to the Assessment.
4. Then a user will navigate to the Assessment manager for that term/Program and assign that newly published Course Section to the assessment, which will make the Assignment Linking page populate with outcomes in the Course Section.
Step by Step...
If your Course Section is published and you do not see the Assignment Linking available, do the following:
1. Click on the Main AEFIS Menu at the top left of the screen
2. Navigate to the Program Design menu area and select Assessments
3. Use the +Filter to filter by term, and (optional) search for the Program name
4. When you identify the Program Assessment that you would like to adjust, click the Manage button next to the Assessment
5. On the left side menu of the Assessment, select the Assigned Courses menu item
6. The Assigned Courses screen will populate with a list of Course Sections that are available to assign to the Assessment, making the Assignment Linking available in that section
- Section: This allows you to sort available course sections in ascending/descending order
- Description: Course Section Name, College and Department - also sortable in ascending/descending order
- Instructor: Course Section Director information. Not stortable.
- #Assignments: Number of assignments available - either AEFIS assignments or assignments imported from the Learning Mangement System (LMS). Sortable in ascending/descending order.
- #Linked: Number of available assignments linked to outcomes in this Program. Sortable in ascending/descending order.
- #Enrolled: Total student enrollment. Sortable in ascending/descending order.
- Updated: The date course section was last updated by a user of the AEFIS system.
- Assigned: A green check mark will indicate if the section is assigned to the assessment and available for assignment linking
- Actions: Allows you to +Assign (allow for assessment) or xRemove (do not allow assessment)
7. Filtering the available Course Sections
This is an easy way to find any sections that are Assigned or not Assigned to the Assessment! If you choose "Assigned" from the filter menu, you can choose to search only for Un-Assigned sections to check.
8. To Assign/Remove an individual course section from the Assessment:
a. Click to remove the assignment linking option from that course section
b. Click to add the assignment linking option to that course section
9. To BULK Assign/Remove sections from the Assigned Courses page
a. Click the check box next to the course section(s) or the top checkbox to select all of the course sections:
b. Then click the blue from the top right of the manager
c. The edit Course Assignments pop up will appear
- Select Update All Pages if you want to change the status of all of the selected course sections
- Select Update if you only want to update that first page of selected course sections
Now, you will have added/removed course sections from your assessment!